Running Facebook Ads is one of the most efficient ways to advertise online. In this guide, I’ll walk you through everything you need to know about Facebook advertising in 2021, with video tutorials to help you from planning your very first Facebook ad to advanced marketing methods.
With over 2.7 billion monthly active users as of the second quarter of 2020, Facebook is the biggest social network worldwide ever. This means tremendous opportunities for your business.
Facebook for Business gives you the latest news, advertising tips, best practices, and case studies for using Facebook to meet your business goals.
As a beginner on Facebook, You need a Facebook Business Manager, a Facebook Ads Account before you start creating Facebook ads.
PS: This guide is updated Every Single Week with additional tips, new ad copies, and more to help you rock on FB. So bookmark this page, come back to read or watch more.
Facebook Ads Complete guide: How to Run Profitable Facebook Ads (2021)
How to Create and Setup a Facebook Business Manager
Facebook Business Manager accounts are easy to create make it very easy for you to get access to other Facebook ad accounts. Watch the video tutorial below to understand how to create one.
Create Facebook Business account easy here: https://business.facebook.com/overview
In a business account, you can add other people to your Facebook Pages, Facebook ad accounts, etc., and even partners to help you manage them.
Facebook has made a new update Facebook where they send you to the business suite instead of the Business Manager.
The Business Suite includes tools like posting, messaging, insights, and advertising capabilities. From there, you can access the business manager.
How to Create One or Multiple Facebook Ads Accounts
Your next step is to create one or many Fb Ads accounts.
In the video tutorial, I share with you exactly How to Create A Facebook Ad Account easily! If you are going to be running Facebook ads for your store or product, you need to create a Facebook Ads account, and in this video, I show you exactly how to do it.
You need to set up your Facebook Ad account properly in order to not get disabled or banned.
After creating your ad account, if you want just access the Facebook Ad Manager, open the link: https://www.facebook.com/adsmanager/
The Different Types of Facebook ads
There are many types of Facebook Ads:
- Image ads
- Video ads
- Video poll ads
- Carousel ads
- Slideshow ads
- Collection ads
- Instant Experience ads
- Lead ads
- Dynamic ads
- Messenger ads
- Facebook Stories ads
- Stories augmented reality ads
- Playable Facebook ads
Image Ads: When and How to Use Them?
Here are a few instances where you can use photo ads.
If you have to create an advertisement in minutes
By publishing and boosting an image-based post on your Facebook Page, you can create a photo advertisement.
If you want to increase awareness about products.
A photo ad can be a great way to highlight a tangible product or service.
Show others how you use your product.
Facebook ads are often displayed in the feeds of people, alongside posts from family and friends. Show images of people who are benefiting from your product to make ads feel more familiar. If they see how others are using it, and they think it can benefit them, then they will click on the ad.
High-resolution images are recommended.
To create amazing ads, you don’t need to be a professional photographer, but you need to pay attention to how large and high-quality the media files are. The pixel is important. If it’s blurred, people are not going to click.
Keep in mind that less text is better
Too much copy or text is distracting and can lead to your ad being shown to fewer people. Images that are uncluttered by text have a greater impact, so stick to the most important details.|Just keep it simple.
Try out different formats.
Before you decide to run an ad, experiment with different formats and images. You should also preview the final product in real life before you publish it.
Video Ads: When and How to Use them?
If you are one of the billions of active Facebook users, you may have noticed a sudden surge in videos taking control of your News Feed recently. This content shift, if you’re anything like I, enhances your Facebook browsing experience.
This powerful content format is becoming increasingly popular with marketers. They are quick to jump on the video trend in order to provide their viewers with what they need.
The video conversion is more important than creating a strong brand experience. According to Adobe, viewers who watch videos are 1.81X more likely than those who do not.
Video ads can be created in-house by you, or you can work with a videographer.
Why should you use Facebook video ads?
Your Brand will remain in the minds of your customers
The best way to make sure people remember your brand is to use Facebook video ads. Video is not just a popular trend on Facebook. This strategy works to engage website visitors and convert them, to push leads through email marketing campaigns, as well as to drive engagement across multiple social networks like Twitter and LinkedIn.
Video ads are more effective than traditional advertising because they allow marketers to be more expressive and show the brand’s personality. They also make it easier for them to connect with viewers emotionally.
Video on Facebook is more engaging than any other content
People love video so they spend more time viewing it and interact with it more than any other medium.
Facebook video posts average engagement rates of 6.13%. This engagement rate is higher than any type of content on Facebook. people viewed videos five times more than static content.
Facebook video ads convert better than other types of ads
Marketers have the best news: Video ads not only attract customers but encourage them to convert better.
Here is a tutorial on How to Create FB video ads.
Several types of video ads
– InStream video ads appear in the middle of another movie.
– Facebook Marketplace Video Ads appear when a user scrolls or shops on Facebook Marketplace.
Facebook Stories ads can be full-screen vertical ads that appear in between organic Facebook Stories. With quick, engaging, and interactive videos on Facebook and Messenger, you can make your business part of the story.
– Facebook Videos Feed ads displayed between organic videos in Facebook Video Feed.
– Carousel Video ads: Ads that contain two or more videos or photos will offer more options for people to see.
– Instant Experiences – Draw your audience in with an instant, high-quality mobile video experience.
– FB Premium Video: Share your videos with the most exclusive content on Facebook Watch.
- Use CPM bidding as a way to make sure your ads play automatically.
- You need to get straight to the point.
- Show videos that do not require sound.
- Advertise video content that has been well-received elsewhere.
- Learn from and pay attention to your video stats.
Carousel Ads: When and How to use them?
Advertisers can showcase up to 10 images, headlines, and links in a single ad using the carousel format for Facebook, Instagram Messenger, Messenger, and Audience Network. Each link will have its own link.
Kinetic Social data shows that these ads can drive 10x more traffic to advertisers’ sites than static posts on Facebook.
Are carousel ads the best choice? When to use them?
You can show multiple products.
Each card should feature a different product that links to its landing page. Increase your customers’ choices and increase your click-through rates.
You can highlight one product’s features.
To better inform your customers, use each card on the carousel to display different product angles and details.
You want people to engage.
Create a compelling story across cards – the interactive format encourages people to swipe through to find more.
You want to explain the process.
Give your customers a step-by-step tour of how you run your business or product.
Tell a story.
Stories are a great way to share your brand’s message and engage with customers. Each card in the ad detailed a feature of each app and gave people an idea of what they can expect from the app.
How to create Carousel Ads: Video Tutorial
What are The Different Goals of a Facebook Campaign?
If you go to the Facebook Ads Manager and try to create a new Facebook ad campaign, the first choice you’ll have to make is selecting the campaign objective, so this is very important.
Here are the main business goals of a Facebook campaign:
- Brand awareness: that helps to introduce your brand to a new audience.
- Reach: the goal is to expose your FB ads to as many people in your audience as possible.
- Traffic: here you simply drive traffic to any blog post, web page, app, Facebook Messenger conversation, or shop.
- Engagement: it helps you reach a wide audience. With this, you can to increase the number of post engagements or Page Likes, increase the attendance at one of your events, or encourage people to claim a special offer (e.g., 20%OFF in the next 3 days).
- App installs: to get people to install your app.
- Video views: If you want more people to watch your videos, this is for you.
- Lead generation: Leads are crucial to the survival of your business this get new prospects into any sales funnel.
- Messages: to motivate people to reach out to your business using Facebook Messenger.
- Conversions: Get people to take a specific action on your website (e.g.,Add to Cart or Shop your product/service), with your app, or in Facebook Messenger.
- Catalog sales: Connect your Facebook ads to your product catalog to show people ads for the products they are most likely to want to buy.
- Store traffic: Drive nearby customers to come in person to any brick-and-mortar stores.
How to Run Successful & Profitable Facebook Ads
OK, suppose you have properly set up your Facebook business manager and Ads account from the videos above, you are eager to run your first profitable Facebook Ads. The video tutorial below will exactly show you that using a very special tool called ConnectExplore, so watch until the end.
This tool made my FB ads so successful and reduced my CPC so much. And what is crazy to me is that not many people are using it.
Note that your audience for your ad is SUPER important and can be customized as follows:
- Location: either the country, state, city, zip code, or address, and refining even further with a 3-mile radius.
- Interests – Facebook looks at a person’s interests, activity, all the posts and pages they like, and related interests.
- Behaviors – Do you want people with purchase behavior and intent
- Devices they use and Internet Bandwith (e.g., mobile, WIFI)
- Connections – show to those who like your page already or to everyone.
How to Create and Setup a Facebook Pixel in the Business Manager
Facebook allows you to track online and offline conversions so you can understand the customer journey and increase the effectiveness of your ads that drive sales.
That is where a Facebook Pixel comes in.
The Facebook pixel is a simple code that you place on your website header that collects customers’ data and helps you track their actions and conversions from Facebook ads, optimize ads, build targeted audiences for future ads, and remarket them.
You can also use this tracking information to build custom audiences of people who interact with your brand offline, so you can target them even more effectively with future ads.
In the video tutorial below, I show you step-by-step How to create and setup a Facebook pixel like a Pro in a few minutes.
The Facebook Ads Proven Process
1. Analyze Data and Create the Right Audiences
2. Nail your Copy and Creatives (Examples)
A perfect example of great copywriting that is simple and convert well is from Apple.
Take the example of how Apple convinced people into the iPod with one simple line: “1000s of songs in your pocket.”
They focused on the customer needs in one single sentence. They put the customer at the center of the product instead of emphasizing on the product features.
What Not to Do in the Copy?
Your copy can never be too long, just too boring. Think about it.
The best performing copy I have seen usually has between 250-400 words.
TIP: The real art is to understand your ideal customer and speak their language.
Come up with a compelling text that will make people take action.
When it comes to creatives, test both video and image creatives, but remember, rather than a very bad video, have no video. See what has worked for others.
Examples of Copy
See how the ad directly calls the audience “Homeowners” in the beginning, that directly gets their attention.
Then it goes ahead and puts a problem/struggle they face (home improvement).
Then gives “clear direction via call to action to download the PDF guide.” .
Just look at how much engagement that ad got. It’s not too short and not too long, just catchy.
Here is another example.
See how the ad starts with targeting the audience with a problem? learn from it and do even better.
This ad copy below is from a guy that knows as well how to run Facebook ads. I just like the way he writes his copies.
As you see, targeting or finding the right audience is super important in your Facebook ads. He also does a lot of retargeting, that’s why I keep seeing his ads.
3. Finding Interests & Testing
This is one of the most common reasons why people fail with Facebook ads. First, they do NOT find the correct interests for their products in the FB Ads manager and show their products to people that are not interested in what they have to offer.
You can have the perfect cat product but if you show it in front of dog lovers, they won’t buy and you waste money.
Here is a video tutorial that shows you how you can find hundreds or thousands of hidden interests in the FB Ads manager that FB will never show you but exist.
Audiencer is a unique FB ads tool that allows you to find hundreds and thousands of hidden interests in the FB ads manager that exist but FB will never show you. You can apply hose hidden interests to your adsets, reduce your CP and watch your conversions skyrocket!
It’s perfect for Social Media Marketers – agencies – Freelancers – Dropshippers – List Builders – eCommerce Marketers or anyone doing Facebook Ads (Business to business, Business to consumer)
Another thing at which people fail is testing, testing, testing.
They can’t do the testing properly so not only they don’t get any sales, but also not even relevant data to learn from in a pixel.
Here are some best tips for Facebook Ads:
- For every audience (in this case 20 audiences), test every creative and ad copy.
- (20 audiences) x (3 creatives) x (4 pieces of ad copy) = 240 ads.
- You can do it within 1 campaign or do it within separate campaigns automatically if you use ConnectExplore.
- You will get so much data in your pixel, that you can create Lookalike audiences and start retargeting like crazy!
- The testing phase can last at least a week or two with about $10/day for each ad.
- And since the pixel already had enough data, every single campaign was optimized for conversion – purchase.
Next, start measuring and optimizing.
Obviously, you don’t want to be running unprofitable ads.
So here’s how you can optimize your Facebook ads by deciding which ads to keep and which ones not to:
- If ROAS (return on ad spend)> Breakeven -> Keep it running
- If ROAS = Breakeven (or oscillating around that point) – change a few stuff and rerun it
- If ROAS < Breakeven – Kill the ad, you are losing money.
After killing unprofitable ads and tweaking the „almost profitable“ ones, keep running the good ads.
For all the ads that end up being profitable, make sure you duplicate and then increase the budget on those.
A piece of advice is DO NOT touch a working campaign. Scale the duplicated campaign, not the original one.
If the ad is still profitable, increase the budget by 20% every 3 days.
If the ROAS starts decreasing, scale back a bit, and actually decrease the budget and leave the campaign running.
Then when the Facebook Ad algorithm starts working again for our favor, move forward, and continue scaling.
6. Remarketing / Retargeting
Now obviously in the e-commerce industry, the most money is made on remarketing.
Well, you might ask: What is Facebook Remarketing or Retargeting?
Remarketing or retargeting on Facebook helps really boost conversions and lowers the overall cost per customer acquisition because those people already clicked before.
Here are just a few of the benefits:
1. Boosts conversion rates: most people need multiple exposures to your brand and offer before they feel comfortable enough to buy
2. It’s cost-effective: retargeting concentrates your ad spend on the people most likely to buy your offer since they already saw your ad once.
3. Helps with brand recall: competition for goods & services is tough. Retargeting recommends website visitors what you have to offer
4. Maximizes lifetime value of a customer by reminding customers of your other offers
5. Brings the people who cared enough to visit your website back for another look at your offers
The biggest advantage of remarketing is that you’re only showing your ad to people who are genuinely interested in your product since they visited your website before.
So this is how you can retarget or remarket on FbB:
* View Content in the last 7, 14, 30, and 60 days: This serves ads only to recent visitors, which keeps your offers fresh in their minds.
* 50% video watch: most people only watch a few seconds of a video and move on except IF it really seizes their attention. So when a visitor views 50% of your video it means they’re extremely engaged. They are ready and receptive to retargeting ads.
* Add To Cart in the last 7, 14, 30, and 60 days: just because a visitor abandons your checkout page, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t interested in your offer!
Maybe as they were on the page, they got an urgent text, the doorbell buzzed, or their puppy began making those alarming sounds.
* Checkout Initiated in the last 7, 14, 30, and 60 days.
And then for different new audiences, create a Lookalike Audience, and serve each a different message.
So you will talk to different people in different stages of the funnel by the time they took the action on your website.
That gives you 6 different ads for 6 different stages of the funnel.
How to Create a Professional Facebook Business Page
If you just started a business or you are an existing business, a Facebook business page is an extremely powerful tool for more revenue.
You connect the Facebook Page to your Business manager and use it when advertising on Facebook.
I show you how to set up a Facebook Business page in 2020 like a pro. Watch the video tutorial to learn how to create one.
I use both the classic and new Facebook theme to create a Facebook business page and optimize it for the best results possible including SEO.
Besides learning how to set up a professional Facebook page, I will show how to obtain a username and custom URL, how to connect your FB page to Instagram and Whatsapp, and much more.
Whether you’re setting up a brand new Facebook Page for your brand, or you just want to make the most of your existing one, it’s probably a smart move.
Additional Tips to Be Successful on Facebook
“My ads still won’t convert!”
“Why are my ad costs SO high?!”
“Why can’t I just get my ads to work?!?”
I hear this all the time from small business owners and beginner marketers trying to run ad campaigns online.
When you’re trying to sell online, you NEED a formula in your toolkit to count on.
So let me give you that formula:
* Fancy logos, plug-ins on your site, etc. mean nothing if you don’t have your targeting right.
Create a Facebook Group for your Business/Page
Here is a deal-breaker: You need to build a tribe.
Set up a Facebook group and start getting members by adding people that are your relevant audience.
Although it could take years, that’s how you can improve your business, advertise without any cost.
When you set qualifying questions for members to join your group, ask for an email address that you can add to your mailing list automatically.
Imagine your group gets about 10k members, you can make a TON of money from the group because:
- pay zero advertising fees
- no campaigns and no ads or accounts getting shut down.
- You get engagement on every post and sales are not an issue at all.
Here is a tool called Groupleadsthat allows you to collect emails/leads automatically from Facebook Groups and build a list that will love your products/articles: GroupLeads Review: Monetize & Collect Leads from Facebook Groups.
Read that review because that tool allowed me to collect 600+ emails in just 10 days and put them in my Mailchimp list automatically.
As you can see, my email list from my Facebook group is growing fast.
Another Video Tutorial on Facebook Ads
Facebook made MAJOR updates to its platform recently. This video is the most in-depth Facebook Ads video available right now!
In this video, you will learn everything you need to know from:
- how to get started on Fb Ads as a beginner
- how to find good creatives
- set up your ads
- optimize Facebook targeting by finding hidden interests and Keywords and more!
Grab a pen and paper because you will learn everything you need to know if you are a beginner trying to launch your first Facebook Ads in 2021.
Video Summary of All Steps to Run Profitable Facebook Ads
Ok, if you do not want to read all of this, and instead want to watch the video comprising all steps you need to take as a complete beginner on FB, here is a 2 Hours video tutorial that will walk you through everything from beginning to end.
You can bookmark this page to come back and learn more.
As you see, I use ConnectExplore to find hidden low competition interests in FB for laser-focused targeting and better ROAS in all my ads.
This is why more than 20,000+ marketers on Facebook are using it.
We just covered the ultimate guide to successful Facebook Advertising in 2021, whether you are a beginner or a pro.
Before you set up your first Facebook ad campaign and start wasting money, think carefully about what your ultimate goal is: is it conversion or sale? Increase brand awareness or Page Likes?