In this Turo Car rental guide, you will learn everything you need to know about the modern car rental company Turo, the “Airbnb of cars”, from its mission to unbiased reviews, promo codes, video tutorial, its competitors, and how to use it properly. Turo came in like a storm, disrupting the traditional car rental market.
Millions of people are deciding to rent their cars today as a convenient way to make money. Leasing is now playing a big part in the American market.
In the U.S., car rental business competition is increasing.
US car rental services are all present all over the country. Major car renting businesses have their own fleets. Back in Europe, car rental businesses provide services for tourists.
Today we cover a major competitor to the traditional car rental agencies, Turo, and everything you need to know about it before you ever engage with it.
IMPORTANT: Within this guide, you will also find :
- How people are making real money using Turo and how you can start too with your car;
- A new powerful tool that you can use from this page to find the cheapest traditional car rental deals around you. So read UNTIL THE END!
Turo Car rental: History, Mission, Unbiased Reviews, Everything you Need to Know
What is Turo? History and Mission
Founded in June 2010, Turo is an American peer-to-peer carsharing organization. The business allows car owners to share their vehicles via an app or a website. It is a market’s response to previous car rental agencies.
Turo delivers a benefit that you aren’t getting from any of those large rental businesses, and which makes all of the difference.
People often ask: “Is Turo illegal?”. The answer is NO, Turo is very legal. In 2015, its name was shifted from RelayRides to Turo so to signify the company’s shift from short-term to long-term rentals.
The business is located in the Bay area today and has over 5 million users and more than 200,000 cars to choose from.
It’s sometimes annoying to stay in long lines at Airports for other car rental agencies like Alamo, Hertz, and Enterprise.
If you want to steer clear of the line in Alamo after a very long flight, Turo could be the answer to most of your car-renting anxieties and save you some money.
How does Turo Car Rental Work ?
Turo Car rental works by allowing people or its users to rent their cars on its platform to make some money, just like Airbnb. The host offers the car on a platform at a price, the guest books it for a trip, and then pays you the host.
If you’ve ever acquired a car rental from the airport, then surely you’ve been annoyed. Long lines, faulty reservation systems, or merely a lengthy walk from the terminal to the car agency can piss off a lot of people.
Save yourself the tension and try Turo. Arrange your car (at the very least 24 hours before for you to be safe), enter your flight period, your ETA in arrivals, and your car will probably be parked outside the airport, alongside the automobile owner or a representative.
Just show your driver’s permit, and you are good to go.
Unlike conventional car-rental services, Turo does not possess cars. The business provides a stage on which car owners may rent their cars.
Throughout Turo, it is possible to rent all kinds of cars, from Teslas to Dodge, minivan, or even pick from an entire set of classic cars such as a 1968 Mercedes coupe or perhaps even a 1974 MG Roadster, or even a 1980s Volkswagen.
Note: Turo only works if you have 2 cars or more: your primary car and another you want to rent. Your other car is out there for renting and does the work for you.
How to Join?
For Pickups: Car pickups differ from owner to owner, however, if you are blessed, the automobile is going to be brought to you.
For Returns: The overall rule is to high up the gas to put it back at the needle it was when you picked up.
The proprietor may possibly decide to meet you at the airport before your trip, or even drop you however that really is the case by case, and you need to prepare ahead of time.
Turo Reviews (Unbiased)
“Turo is a very great way for those who are under 25 to rent a car in the US. There is a small fee for those renting at 21-24, but it is still affordable. You can also refer others to the app and as soon as they take their first trip using Turo, the referred person and yourself get $25 credit to your next trip! There is a variety of cars that you can rent in different price points. You can also rent luxury cars! Of course at a higher price, but there are still many cars to choose from. Definitely using each time I travel in the US!!”– Arielle-Marie A., 5 stars
“I liked using Turo. It was easy to search for a car that would work best for my trip. I am only 21 so it is hard to find a rental car that doesn’t break the bank. Turo made it possible for me to rent a car for a decent price. The only thing that I dislike is that each car is owned by a person kind of like Airbnb. So you must rely on the car owner to pick you up from the airport (if included). Our guy was 45 mins late which was annoying but we flew into LAX so it’s understandable.”– Hailey M., 4 stars
“I only used turo once and it was an awful experience. It was another sketchy company using turo to get costumers. Our car barely went, brakes were completely out. It was seriously a nightmare and felt so unsafe. Turo should monitor who they are letting use their site and give cars.”– Jasmine S., 2 stars
“I have had great experiences with Turo. I have found a provider in Oregon that is my go-to. He’s always available, provides a clean car, and is customer oriented. It’s interesting to see the people who have created mini car rental companies through Turo. They operate rental companies with mini fleets of cars. It’s refreshing when you need something specific and the big players don’t have it available.”– Hillary M., 5 stars
Reviewing different car and travel agencies, I must say I haven’t seen yet a car rental or travel company with so many positive good reviews, where people really think it’s great.
At the end of the day, experiences are different from one human to another. Some people might crash your car, or bruise it, or return it in excellent condition. You just have to give it a shot!
Turo Customer Service Phone Number, Live Chat & Social Media
Customer Service Phone Number
Social Media Accounts: If you want to know more about the company or want to reach them use their social media as well.
Turo App on Apple and Google Playstore
The reviews on the app platforms are stunning. Read them for yourself, almost all “5 stars”. To download the app, visit :
The apps are FREE!
Turo Tutorial #1: How to Rent Your Car and earn Money ($900/month income)
If you want to rent your car on Turo to start making money, follow this detailed video that I found helpful myself. Watch it until the end, and as always, subscribe to his channel if you like it!
How Does Payment work with Turo?
- For your first trip: payment is 72 hours after the trip ends.
- For all subsequent trips: payment is 3 hours after the trip ends for U.S. and 24 hours for non-U.S.
- Trips more than a week: you receive weekly partial payments.
What you will earn with Turo
- You will get between 65 percent and 90 percent of the price, fees, and charges that you establish, based on your own host security plan you pick.
- You will also earn a percentage of any further usage or overdue penalties a guest recharges.
- Irrespective of what protection plan you opt for, if you offer the guest Extras, you will receive 90 percent of this price.
- You will also receive 100 percent of reimbursements for costs incurred from your guests. These include costs for tolls, fuel replacement, and cleaning/smoking.
Funds arrive in your bank account usually after 1-3 days.
Turo Video #2: How to Make Serious Money with Turo
I just love this video from Biaheza, a young successful entrepreneur that has made a lot of money with dropshipping.
He teaches how making money with Turo works. Watch it till the end! Also, subscribe to his channel if you like it!
Video about Important Things to Worry About Before Booking with Turo
If you are not satisfied with the information in the previous video, then check out this other great video from this great Youtuber.
He covers the things you have to worry about when renting your car to Turo like maintenance costs, wear and tear, depreciation and other things people don’t usually know. Sub as well if you like it!
You must read carefully the types of vehicles they accept on their platform so you don’t waste your time trying to list your car there for rental. The eligibility criteria differ whether you are in the U.S., Canada, UK or Germany.
Does Turo hold a deposit or How does Turo Security Deposit work?
In many cases, you may not need to pay a security deposit to find yourself a trip with Turo. However, guests might have to pay for a $250 deposit to get non-luxury cars.
Guests of all ages have to pay a $1,500 deposit for Super Deluxe cars.
Guests aged 25 to 29 might have to pay for a $1,500 deposit to rent a De Luxe car.
How does Turo Insurance Works?
Just how Does Insurance Work with Turo?
If you’re worried about insurance to get your car using Turo, you’re not alone!
Hosts have their option of 3 insurance options: Basic, Standard, and Premium.
One of the techniques to guard you will be by using a $1 million liability insurance policy from their insurance partner.
Once you opt for a protection plan, you’ll also be protected against certain “comprehensive” and “collision” events that happen throughout a journey.
Turo has many insurance coverage choices that allow one to sleep well knowing you’re insured if a tenant causes damage to the motor vehicle.
Per their website,
“Your car is protected against physical damage, up to its actual cash value, for collision and most “comprehensive” causes, including theft.”
Turo does not need that you have your own insurance coverage in order to book a car on their platform. If you’ve got insurance, liability insurance offered via Turo’s insurance supplier (s) will supplement your current coverage.
Some hosts on Turo have chosen to decline a Turo coverage plan in which they are able to offer commercial rental insurance rights. Guests who book those vehicles are subject to the host insurance coverage.
Commercial rental car companies can utilize Turo by providing their own rental insurance directly to guests.
Note: Turo requires all hosts to keep their private insurance cards within their vehicles at any time. When you’ve obtained a Turo coverage, your private insurance isn’t operative throughout a trip.
Make sure to keep your insurance card together in your vehicle. In case you get pulled over in a traffic stop, these serve as evidence of responsibility.
In case you decline all bodily damage protection, your exposure will extend into the full importance of the vehicle and all related costs, as described within this FAQ.
They advise that you must just decline one of their security plans ONLY if you are confident that your private insurance will cover you well throughout a Turo trip; it is best to check with your insurance company or policy before making your decision.
Turo Insurance Partners
U.S. insurance partner: Liberty Mutual.
Canada insurance partner: Intact Financial Corporation.
Germany insurance partner: Allianz.
Turo Competitors or Alternatives
From the traditional to other modern companies, Turo’s competitors are:
- TSD Rental
- Easy Rent Pro and more.
IMPORTANT: Use the powerful tool at the end of this post to get traditional car rental agencies’ prices. Then you can compare them with Turo prices to see for yourself.
What are the Age Requirements with Turo?
- You have to be 21 or older to book a trip to Canada, Germany, the UK, and also in most the rest of the places where Turo operates.
- If you’re within the age of 74, then you can’t book with Turo in the United Kingdom.
- You must be 21 or older to list a car in America, Canada, and Germany.
- You must be 25 or older to list an automobile in Britain.
- 23 and 24-year-old people may list vehicles that are younger than three years.
- US drivers under the age of 21 aren’t permitted to reserve with Commercial Hosts.
- You have to be 25 or older to put in an automobile in the UK.
- Guests under 21 can not book cars with a whole market value of more than $20k.
- We charge a Young Driver charge for guests ages 18-25 that are reserving a car in the United States.
- Commercial Hosts may have their own age restrictions and associated fees.
- You must be 30 or older to reserve a Super DeLuxe car or a specialization vehicle in the US.
- You must be 25 or older to reserve a Deluxe Class automobile in the UK.
Deluxe Class automobiles have a fair market value between $55,000 to $85,000.
Super Deluxe cars have a fair market value of more than $85,000
Summary of Pros and Cons of Turo
- Great customer service;
- Amazing collection of cars from Teslas to classic cars at very affordable prices!
- Allows you to make good money renting your own car, meaning you can actually own multiple cars and rent them on Turo;
- Very convenient for travel as it allows you to not wait in line for traditional car rental agencies.
- Among the top loved car rental apps with hundreds of thousands of 5 stars reviews;
- 5 million+ users and 200,000+ cars available;
- Turo asserts its app reduces rental expenses when compared with classic car rental solutions.
- Cheaper and convenient compared to many automobile rental agencies
- Accept gas, diesel, hybrid, and electric vehicles that seat eight or fewer people.
- Accept cars, light trucks, cargo vans, and “specialty” and “classic” cars. Vehicle requirements are different by region. Click HERE for more!
- Much like Airbnb, quality control is tough;
- Sometimes unable to find cheaper car than other agencies like Enterprise or Hertz.
- In 2019, Turo upgraded its own terms of service to prevent hosts from sharing their car to any different car-sharing agency.
- They don’t accept motorcycles, limousines, RVs, and certain other vehicles. Click HERE for more!
- Turo doesn’t pay for cars that suffer extensive damages.
- Beware of the other things like tear and wear, maintenance, factor them out before renting your car.
Suggested reads: Google Flights Best Review: To find Cheap Flights, Use This Trick
Turo goes against traditional rental car companies and has their own provisions for individuals leasing a car, those supplying their car for rental and also the rental period:
- Guest: The person leasing the car;
- Host: The person who is supplying their car as a rental;
- Trip: the rental period.
You can utilize the app and site to search for cars for rent in the areas you’ll be traveling. Also, you make use of the app to list your car if you want to provide it.
In a manner much like Airbnb, you’ll be able to search for rentals centered on factors of your choice, as well as narrowing down your search results by cars you can rent with immediate payment.
Turo’s advantages are it provides guests a good way to get a car from an airport, or hosts to make money renting their cars.
Turo may not benefit everyone on every single occasion, however, it may be much less expensive, adapting, and totally fun experience in comparison to all one of those rental agencies.
In the event you don’t want to deal with the bureaucracy of a car rental company, you should test it.
As always, the goal is to provide you with objective and unbiased information to help you make the best choice for your well-being!
Sharing is caring! So please share if you find this useful!
What do you think about Turo? To Rent or to Lease a car? What is your own experience with it, their customer service? Leave a comment below!
Bonus Recommendation: Cheapest Car Rental Finder from worldwide (Powerful Tool)
To find the cheapest rental cars from traditional agencies like Enterprise or Hertz around you, I recommend using this tool which searches in no time from all the top rental car companies in the world. You can actually compare their prices with Turo to see which are cheaper.
It works even better if you are in Europe and are looking to rent a car! Try it!